unknown value in the dhcp log

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Jul 8 21:12:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 02:36:18PM -0700, Jacques Uber wrote:
> 38092    Jul  5 00:43:08 ns1 dhcpd: balanced pool acbad58
                                                    ^^^^^^^
> 140.211.162.0/26  total 46  free 23  backup 22  lts 0  max-misbal 2
>
> I am curious to what the 9th column (some sort of hash value) means.
> Any help is appreciated.

It is the integer hexadecimal value of the address of the pool
structure in virtual memory.

It's the only way to determine the difference between multiple
pools in a single subnet over the span of a given runtime; the address
in virtual memory will change but the covering subnet won't, so you'll
get a bunch of log lines for e.g. 140.211.162.0/26 if it had more than
one pool.

Don't shoot the messenger; it was like that when I got here.  If I
had it do to over, I would use any random dynamic address from the
pool as a unique identifier for the pool, like the first address in
the first 'range' statement.