[DHCP] RE: Determining request

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Jan 7 21:03:58 UTC 2010

Tim Gavin wrote:
> if BIND will do it, then tally-ho.  But if you're already running a
> WINS or AD server, then it has WINS available.  Even if it's older,
> it'll do the trick.  But, like Glen, I prefer an OSS solution if it
> exists, and BIND will run on Fedora without breaking a sweat.
>
> I think at this point we need more info on the OP's network, if the OP
> is still around :)
    OP is still here, and reading, trying to figure out what direction
to go.  So, a few things:
        a) We're not running AD
        b) We don't have WINS enabled on any of the MS Servers - there
are several on the network
        c) Anyone finds everyone (they need to find) by simply going to
Network Neighborhood - access is controlled via user passwords on each
machine that's sharing a resource and guest logins on some file servers.

    At this point, I could spent the time and draw a complete (hardware)
map out, with exact connections and where they're made and indicate how
things flow, but from most of what I read, my initial quest isn't
possible just "as is".  It will require some reconfiguring of either
another subnet and packet forwarding, or configuring VLANs on the main
switch the APs are on, or do some type of song and dance with WINS.

    Basically what I thought to be a little mosquito turned into an
elephant mighty fast ...

    Time to re-think the strategy.