dhclient old leases

Jeff Haran jharan at Brocade.COM
Wed Feb 24 21:58:08 UTC 2010

Hi,

I read in the dhclient man page:

       Old leases are kept around in case the DHCP server is unavailable  when
       dhclient  is  first  invoked  (generally during the initial system boot
       process).   In that event, old leases  from  the  dhclient.leases  file
       which have not yet expired are tested, and if they are determined to be
       valid, they are used until  either  they  expire  or  the  DHCP  server
       becomes available.

It seems to me this feature must assume that the host you are running this on has a reliable real time clock, specifically that it can keep time across a reboot or power cycle.

Is there a way to disable this particular feature?

I'd like the client to request the old addresses, but not configure them unless a server oks it.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran
Brocade Communications