dhcp + power-dns + ldap

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Feb 23 05:15:36 UTC 2010

Damiano Venturin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using dhcp3 + ldap. It works very well but I'm experiencing some
> difficulties trying to merge the ldap configuration for dhcpd and
> power-dns.
>
> My target is to define a host only once in a single entry containing
> both dns and dhcp informations and taking the hosts-list outside the
> dhcp-config branch. More or less in this way:
>
> #dn: dc=radioshocked,cn=hosts,dc=spakabal,dc=2v,dc=ntw
> #cn: radioshocked
> #dc: radioshocked
> #objectClass: top
> #objectClass: dnsdomain
> #objectClass: domainrelatedobject
> #objectClass: dhcpHost
> #arecord: 192.168.2.15
> #associateddomain: 2v.ntw
> #dhcpHWAddress: ethernet 00:0A:E4:XX:XX:XX
> #dhcpStatements: fixed-address 192.168.2.113
>
> Unfortunately it seems that dhcp3-ldap can't see hosts outside the
> dhcp-config branch. I read the whole schema and I tried several uses of
> the dhcpHostDN attribute but without any luck.
>
> Is there a way to point to hosts specified somewhere else than cn=DHCP
> Config,cn=hosts,dc=spakabal,dc=2v,dc=ntw?
>

> Thank you!
> Regards
>
> Dam

I am not sure how this works with ldap, but inm the fixed-address
statement specify a hostname, rather than an IP address. dhcpd will
resolve the hostname to an IP address using DNS at runtime. This way the
IP address need only be specified once in the DNS host record, wherever
that is.

eg in normal dns zone file

radioshocked.spakabal.ntw	IN	A	192.168.2.113

and in a standard dhcpd.conf

host radioshocked {
	hardware ethernet 00:0A:E4:XX:XX:XX;
	fixed-address radioshocked.spakabal.ntw;
}

--
regards,
-glenn