Multiple Entries in Option 15 (Domain Name)

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Feb 5 12:25:31 UTC 2010

Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations All,
> can i have multiple entries in option 15 (Domain Name) or is this
> non-RFC compliant?
> I am asking this because I am reviewing someone else's config file and
> Option 15 is set with multiple names in the format
> */""domain1.com <http://domain1.com>", "domain2.com <http://domain2.com>""/*

*Some* clients may interpret the option that way, but it is not
guaranteed behaviour, and I do not think it is RFC compliant.

A later RFC introduced the domain-search option which does exactly what
you want:

      option domain-search domain-list;

        The domain-search option  specifies  a  'search  list'  of
        Domain  Names  to  be  used  by  the client to locate not-
        fully-qualified domain names.  The difference between this
        option  and historic use of the domain-name option for the
        same ends is  that  this  option  is  encoded  in  RFC1035
        compressed labels on the wire.  For example:

          option domain-search "example.com", "sales.example.com",
                               "eng.example.com";

--
regards,
-glenn