full socket buffers

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Dec 20 07:33:24 UTC 2010

> I've tried with ramdisk but have a small problem with it - the ramdisk is 1GB in
> size but after about six hours the dhcpd started to complain there's no space
> to commit the leases and crashed a few moments later. How big should the ramdisk
> be in size to hold the leasefile? Is the dhcpd process doing some leasefile
> compaction in time or just the leasefile grows boundless?

You need space for 2 times the size of the largest leases file. Look
at the directory - you would normally be expected to have dhcpd.leases
and dhcpd.leases~ (the latter being the previous version of the file).

dhcpd.leases is only written to during normal operation, but about
once per hour a new version is generated and the old is renamed to
dhcpd.leases~. The new version is compacted as it is generated.

Note that having dhcpd.leases on ramdisk may give you problems if the
server crashes - you have then lost the leases file.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no