exceedingly long time in assigning ip addresses

Bjarne Blichfeldt BJB at jndata.dk
Tue Dec 14 11:30:13 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: dhcp-users-bounces+bjb=jndata.dk at lists.isc.org
[mailto:dhcp-users-bounces+bjb=jndata.dk at lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of
Massimo Manghi
Sent: 13. december 2010 16:41
To: Users of ISC DHCP
Subject: exceedingly long time in assigning ip addresses

Hi

I've been lurking on the list for a while now hoping to see someone to

bring up this or a similar problem.

I'm managing a medium size network (a zone of a larger campus size

network) and I've used dhcp for assigning ip addresses for quite a long

time now. During the last year an increasing number of windows clients

are having problems when they are started up. IP address negotiation can

take as long as 30 mins while the dhcp log shows a series of the usual

messages, apparently displaying a flawless exchange

Sounds like the symptoms we encountered. Look in the mailing list
archive for :

Subject "Performance issue ( maybe ) - followup and solution"

In my case, I just needed to tune the linux kernel.

Regards,

Bjarne Blichfeldt