DHCP Redundancy

Alex Bligh alex at alex.org.uk
Thu Dec 2 11:13:15 UTC 2010

--On 2 December 2010 10:58:45 +0000 Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
wrote:

>> I just need a stupid dhcp server that can works from a database
>> table for lease information. I have spent the last few days coming
>> up with nothing. I am shocked one doesn't exist. It could even work
>> from a flat file, it just needs to reread the flat file every time
>> before handing out a new address to ensure its actually available.
>
> It doesn't exist because is would be very low performance and would have
> a very limited market.

Actually, it does exist. See my patch set:
  http://blog.alex.org.uk/2010/09/05/adding-sql-support-to-isc-dhcpd/

However, this isn't to put the leases table in a database. It's
to put the static configuration in a database. And that's not
a great idea for what the OP wants unless the database is
replicated to each site (because of the unreliable connectivity
between sites). And given that requirement, it would be far
easier to distribute (by rsync, chef, puppet, whatever) a
static config file.

--
Alex Bligh