Max num of static entries

Marc Perea marccp at srttel.com
Wed Aug 18 13:41:23 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,
before v4.2.0 we were matching if agent.circuit-id existed and directly
matched an ascii string that our access gear sent for a subscriber port,
then we'd assgin an address from a specific pool with a range of 1 IP.
It was clunky and painfully slow, but it worked and fit our
requirements. That said, we were shopping around for a new DHCP server.

Then 4.2.0 came out and had a short snippet that said something like,
-added the ability to match a host based on option information. I
wondered what that meant and dug into some testing, and lo and behold,
you can now match a host based on relay agent option 82 exactly like it
was a host matched on mac address! It was revolutionary for us. Our
homegrown provisioning system that was taking well over a minute per
click (web form) is now down to just a few seconds (it talks to several
servers). Prior to then it was waiting over a minute, in sequence (not
multi-user friendly because of the single flat file) on DHCP to do
provisioning because ISC can't handle config changes on the fly and
requires a restart. That part hasn't changed, we still restart the
service dozens, maybe hundreds of times per day, but it restarts now in
under a second.

Anyways, the new syntax allows us to say, for example:

host 31052101 { host-identifier option agent.circuit-id
"10.150.124.105:1-21-1-0-gbond-0-35"; fixed-address x.y.z.q; }
#7017050083

>>> Frank Bulk <fbulk at mypremieronline.com> 8/17/2010 11:18 PM >>>

Remind me…if you’re not using class-based matching, how are you
assigning statics?  Some combination of Option 82 stuff?
Frank