Reducing the value of max-lease-time and default-lease-time

Mark Krenz mark.krenz at cookmedical.com
Tue Aug 17 14:05:54 UTC 2010

I help run the dhcp servers that serve several thousand hosts. I've been
considering turning down the max-lease-time and default-lease-time by
half their value so that an upcoming migration to another set of DHCP
servers will have more flexibility if we need to switch back.

Is there anything I should be considering before changing these values
or should I be ok?  I looked around online for any warnings about doing
this but couldn't find anything.  Also, I'd be doing this lease time
change a few days in advance of the switchover so it should be plenty of
time for all the hosts to pick up the new lease times.

Thanks,
Mark