Multiple dhcrelay setup causing multiple duplicate DHCP requests

Randall C Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Mon Aug 16 12:35:05 UTC 2010

I wondered a bit about the topology also and wondered about the relay agent behavior. We did see something similar to this when switches were half configured to supplement the dhcp packet with option 82 etc. In an environment where many edge switches 'see' the original broadcast dhcp packet, the number of matching packets multiplied to the giaddr 'helper' increased. It was not just a logging problem, but an actual multiplier of work required by the infrastructure.
Randy