dhcpserver and dhcperf on same machine - still not working

Rajitha Chinnapu rajithachinnapu at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 17:52:32 UTC 2010

Thanks Marc.

Here is what my dhcpd.conf looks like:

________________________________
# DHCP Server Configuration file.
#
ddns-update-style interim;
ddns-updates off;

# Subnet
subnet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 {
        option routers                  10.10.1.1;
        option subnet-mask              255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address        10.10.1.255;
        option domain-name              "test.com";
        option domain-name-servers      10.10.1.10;
        option ntp-servers              10.10.1.10;
        option interface-mtu            1400;
        range                           10.10.1.100 10.10.1.200;
        default-lease-time              5184000;
        max-lease-time                  5184000;
}
________________________________

now, dhcpd is running on port 67.  the manual from nominum for dhcperf quotes
the following:

________________________________
port
     -p, --port port
     Sets the UDP port upon which dhcperf sends and receives DHCP messages.
     The default is 67—dhcperf emulates a DHCP relay agent and uses the “DHCP
server”
     port.
________________________________

1. from the above, it looks like dhcperf also runs on port 67.  how can that
be...?

2. if i have to run the dhcperf on the same machine as dhcpd, what port do i use
for the client?

3. i tried dhcperf on port 68, but still, i get the same response... more over,
--progress option wont give any more debug than what there is already. so, i
cannot provide any more logs than whats below...

sudo ./dhcperf --server 127.0.0.1 --one-discover --progress -p 68
Sending DHCPDISCOVER.
No response after 4 seconds: failed to acquire address.

4. is there any way to make dhcperf log more information?
5. i am running the dhcperf on teh same machine as dhcpd just to see how dhcperf
works. the actual test is to run dhcperf on a different subnet from that of
dhcpd.

Thanks,
Rajitha.