dhclient -6 and dhclient-enter-hooks

chrisv at cyberswitching.com chrisv at cyberswitching.com
Wed Aug 11 07:31:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:20:24PM -0700, chrisv at cyberswitching.com wrote:
> What is misconfigured?  This has got to be something insanely simple but
> masterfully elusive (at the moment.)

The answer may be, "the network."  Our DHCPv6 server is on a separate
subnet from the DHCPv6 client, so the router is acting as a relay.  When
I started up Wireshark, I found a lot of SOLICIT messages generated by
the client with no corresponding replies from the server.  There were,
however, Router Advertisement (RA) messages being sent by the router,
and this is what was causing the interface to be configured with an
address.

I know that this all took place too quickly for the list to reply, but I
hope this debugging process helps someone else via the archives.
Debugging IPv6 address assignment is **fun** given all the new ways an
address can be assigned, mostly at the same time.

Chris