OMSHELL to Reload Host Config File or cpan Net::ISC::DHCPd::OMAPIExamples

Steve van der Burg steve.vanderburg at LHSC.ON.CA
Tue Sep 29 12:28:12 UTC 2009

>> if you are making config from an oft-refreshed file as a source, i'd
>> just recommend restarting dhcpd on a new config file rather than using
>> omapi to manage changes.  the brief time to restart the daemon will
>> pass unnoticed, whereas the omapi-managed method presents a lot of
>> moving parts and complex machinery that can just go wrong.
>
> This is what we're doing in a non-failover environment due to the regularity of
> host adds, changes and deletes that occur during the day (low volume).
>
> However, we're moving to a failover server pair.  Is it common practice to use
> omapi for host changes or would we be better served with a short mclt relative
> to the delta between server restarts?
>
> What is your recommendation?

We have used OMAPI (omshell plus expect) to manage host containers in a failover environment for 3 or 4 years now, and it works perfectly.

What I do:

- parse the lease files on each server and send the parsed versions to a central server
- sweep the database kept by the web app that our network people use to assign hosts "fixed" addresses
- compare the two and determine any changes to be made (add, delete, modify)
- pump those changes to both servers, on alternating minutes, via omshell/omapi

We're doing this in an environment that has about 16k leases and 20k host containers.

...Steve

This information is directed in confidence solely to the person named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. This information may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via a return e-mail and destroy original message. Thank you for your cooperation.