Multiple subnets, wired/wireless

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Sep 28 22:02:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

>    Can DHCPd actually do this, serve two separate subnets and know what
> IP to hand out where and when.  Or am I better off just using a
> different server and setting up DHCP on there, specifically for this
> purpose?

sure - but it depends on your network topology and equipment - if
your router can do DHCP relay (eg ip helper-address) then it will
direct the DHCP broadcast to the DHCP server which will respond
with the relevant details for that subnet (so long as you have configured
a suitable range with the required network, subnetmask, gateway etc)

alternatively, the DHCP needs a leg on each of the networks you need
to serve - this really doesnt scale if you get up to dozens of
networks :-)

alan