Mac OS/iPhone clients won't use lease for ~90 seconds

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Fri Sep 18 12:42:48 UTC 2009

> I tried commenting out the shorter leases for our unregistered systems
> (so now they are the same length as our regular leases).  It might be
> a little faster to get a lease but still has a delay compared to other
> leases.
>
> Any other thoughts?

    I am a bit late to this discussion. Have you tried sniffing the Mac's
connection to see what, if anything, it is doing during this interval?
I've not had any complaints about the Mac but our unregistered syststems
get a wondy DNS resolvers and Vista tries to resolve a Microsoft domain
name when it starts. (For IPv6 tunnel support I think.) When it cannot,
it does a DHCPINFORM looking for new DNS servers; all of which slows the
process down. Your Apple boxes could be looking for some sort of Bonjour
server.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|