IPv6 DUIDs

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 16 21:57:24 UTC 2009

In Windows, the DUID is stored in a registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters

What we have been considering, and I haven't tried it yet, is to set this ourselves.  If we make the time portion a constant and use the MAC address we already have in our admin database, we end up with a unique consistent value that can easily be generated in the hosts files etc for dhcpd.

I have now tried this on a couple of Windows machines, Vista and 2k8 and it seems to work appropriately.  The DUID reported by ipconfig /all takes awhile to show the 'updated' registry key, a reboot would probably get it to change immediately

I received no comments from anyone as to whether doing this was not a good idea or not.  I would still be keen to hear from anyone that can think of any objections.