'DHCPACK (to|on) ...' in log messages: design or accident

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Sep 9 17:37:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 03:19:39PM +0100, Niall O'Reilly wrote:
> I'm hoping that this is a design feature on which I can depend, as it
> gives very convenient guidance for extracting information from the logs.
>
> OTOH, it may just be a lucky accident.
>
> I'ld appreciate an authoritative clarification.

i actually have no idea if it was intentional or not.  i suspect it
was probably an accident because INIT/INIT-REBOOT/SELECTING clients
would not have the responses sent "to" them, they would either be
locally broadcast or sent "to" a relay.  DHCPINFORM however was
supposed to be very simple query/reply with the client clearly
identifying its unicast IPv4 address...but contact with actual
dhcpinform clients later changed this, and there are situations where
the syslogged address isn't even the client's.

i certainly have no intention of changing the logs for something
cosmetic like this tho.