RFC 4243

Ben Wiechman wiechman.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 18:05:12 UTC 2009

I have a vendor that is using the vendor encapsulated option for Option 82
to send back certain information I'd like to access, however I am at a loss
on how to extend the agent option to make sub-option 9 accessible.

I've tried to define a new set of options and then encapsulate the current
agent option space but that doesn't seem to work:

option space agent-extended;
option agent-extended.circuit-id code 1 = string;
option agent-extended.remote-id code 2 = string;
option agent-extended.vlan code 9 = string;
option agent-extended code 200 = encapsulate agent;

Declaring something like
option agent.vendorinfo code 9 = string;

Also produces an error.

Is there some way to extend the current agent option, or do I just have
something messed up in the syntax. It seems to me that if I define the types
correctly that the first method, or something similar to it, should work but
I'm at a loss how to accomplish that.

Ben