DHCP not leasing for certain modems.

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 08:17:03 UTC 2009

shishir saud wrote:

>The case here is I have two variants of modems. One of those modems
>comes online without any issues but with the other, they dont appear
>online. What happens is they broadcast a DHCP DISCOVER and the dhcp
>server offers them with IPs but then I dont see any requests coming
>from them. If I revert them to my older dhcp that is running version
>3.0.2 they all work just fine. The configurations aren't different
>except there are failover configurations done in the test dhcp
>servers.

Well try turning off the failover and see if that makes a difference.
Assuming it doesn't, then leave it off (makes things simpler) and use
a packer sniffer to capture and decode the packets off the wire - do
this for the working and non-working versions and see what
differences there are.

My guess is that the modem is picky about some little detail - could
be as simple as option order in the packet (shouldn't be, but
wouldn't be the first broken client).

--
Simon Hobson