Pool/Scope or subnet with PXE boot options?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Oct 9 00:43:40 UTC 2009

>Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:35:32 -0600
>From: Jason Gerfen <jason.gerfen at scl.utah.edu>
>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>Subject: Pool/Scope or subnet with PXE boot options?
>
>I am not sure if this has been addressed before or not as I could not
>find anything in the archives or references (minus utilizing classes) to
>allow an entire pool/scope or subnet to a pxe group.
>
>Would it be an options within the pool options? Something like:
>
>pool {
>    option domain-name-servers 155.101.115.10, 155.97.15.2;
>    range 155.97.14.1 155.97.14.210;
>    allow boot-clients;
>    #bootp specs
>     filename "/tftproot/pxelinux.0";
>     next-server server.name;
>}
>
>or perhaps something like this within the subnet declaration?
>
>subnet 192.168.5.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>    option domain-name-servers 192.168.5.2, 192.168.5.255;
>    option routers 192.168.5.1;
>    option ip-forwarding off;
>    #bootp specs
>     filename "/tftproot/pxelinux.0";
>     next-server server.name;
>}
>
>I really want to avoid the use of classes here as I would simply like to
>allow our dynamic IP ranges the same group bootp access as our static IP
>ranges.
>
>Any help is appreciated.

Hi Jas

Either of those ways will work (doing it at pool or subnet level) or
indeed putting the settings at the global level.

Things to be aware of:

- In a non-PXE mode the client may not request those options, so they
will not be sent to the client.

- There is only a limited space to fit all the options in a response,
so something that is actually required may get left out.

- A regular client request when booting, say, windows has no need for
pxe or grub menus and has no way to use it unless you have added your
own hooks to the dhclient scripts.

Using a class, means only PXE clients get PXE options. This is usually
what you want and is more efficient, but obviously there may be
exceptions.

regards,
-glenn
--