Relay agent with dhcp server on same subnet

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Nov 19 11:18:47 UTC 2009

Perhaps you could set up a class to match when there was not an
option-82 present in the request, then to put "ignore booting" inside
that class. Something like

class "ignore_me" {
	match if not exists option agent.circuit-id;
	ignore booting;
}

That might make dhcpd ignore the direct broadcasts.

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell                            |  Miss 9: What do you
Uniq Advances Pty Ltd, Sydney Australia   |  do at work Dad?

>From: "Autuori Gianluigi" <Autuori.Gianluigi.Wintime at ansaldobreda.it>
>To: "Users of ISC DHCP" <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>
>Thanks
>So the only way to do it correctly is to use a switch that suppress the
original broadcast DHCP packets. The one I use doesn't permit this.
>Gianluigi Autuori

Per conto di Bruce Hudson
>Inviato: mercoledì 18 novembre 2009 22.45
>A: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>Oggetto: Re: R: R: Relay agent with dhcp server on same subnet
>
>> I think server nakew client request because there isn't any
>> agent.circuit-id field in its packet.
>
>    You are correct. Your switch is acting as a DHCP relay but it does not
appear to be suppressing the original broadcast DHCP packets. This means your
server is seeing every request twice: once directly from the client without
relay information and one via the switch that includes the relay option.

>    The direct DISCOVER would have generated an error message in the server's
log that no addresses were free and dropped. However, the direct REQUEST
generates a NAK.