Can you Force DDNS names to Lower Case?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sat Nov 14 20:33:17 UTC 2009

Glenn Satchell writes:
> You can use the lcase() function in an appropriate scope. You probably
> want this, or something similar, in the global scope.
>
>         option ddns-hostname = lcase (option ddns-hostname);

	Thank you. I added the following lines to dhcpd.conf:

set dhcpd-host-name = lcase(host-name);
set client_id = lcase(option host-name);

	When I look at the /var/db/dhcpd.leases file, leases in
the zone with the problem still have mixed case names but I
think I found the real problem.

	Several months ago, we had the WiFi-XXX default domain
names in about 4 different subnet declarations. That caused bind
to creat $origin headers in the osu.zone and those headers followed
the case of the names in the updates. If I can figure out how to
safely re-make those headers, that will most likely fix the
problem.

Martin McCormick