DHCP Failover questions

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Nov 13 23:04:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:52:15PM -0500, Jason Frisvold wrote:
> > Nov 13 06:56:10 dhcp2 dhcpd: failover peer dhcp1-dhcp2: I move from normal to startup
> > Nov 13 06:56:11 dhcp2 dhcpd: failover peer dhcp1-dhcp2: peer moves from normal to communications-interrupted
> > Nov 13 06:56:11 dhcp2 dhcpd: failover peer dhcp1-dhcp2: I move from startup to normal
> > Nov 13 06:56:11 dhcp2 dhcpd: failover peer dhcp1-dhcp2: peer moves from communications-interrupted to normal
>
> Interestingly enough, we do see these messages..

You are running a 3.0.x release.  3.0.x matches based upon the far
side's IP address, so you can get away with mis-naming the
relationships.  However this doesn't allow you to have more than one
relationship between two IPv4 addresses, so when we were trying to
sync 3.1.x up to the latest failover draft, we adopted that part of
the draft's direction; the match is now done based on the relationship
name.

Even though 3.0.x allows you to get away with it, best to make the
change now so you won't have to panic when you upgrade to
3.1/4.0/4.1/4.2...