Subnet, Pool, and Zone Declarations

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com
Sat Nov 7 17:30:02 UTC 2009

Can a zone declaration appear within a pool or subnet declaration?

My company acquired an IP Address Management (IPAM) system.  One of
its features is that it provides a place to store information about a
system that, normally, would not be in a DNS zone file.  Another is
that it provides a safe way to allow server administrators and site
support personnel to make DNS changes.  Another feature is that it
allows IT and Security personnel to see the DHCP lease assignments and
identify which IP addresses are currently leased and by what systems.

My question involves this last feature.  At several sites, I have
included a zone declaration inside a subnet or pool declaration.  The
rationale for doing this was that the zones were unique and only to be
used for systems that were leased addresses from the subnet or pool.
DHCP 3.1.2p1 accepts this construct.

The vendor of the IPAM system has done a relatively good job of
ensuring that the IPAM system conforms to DNS and DHCP standards;
however, it won't process DHCP lease information when there is a zone
declaration within a subnet or pool declaration.

Is my usage of zone declaration within a subnet or pool declaration
valid?  Does the vendor of the IPAM system have a "bug" in its
implementation that needs to be corrected?

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett at roadrunner.com