Using class to match iPhones, Wiis etc

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Wed May 20 19:12:48 UTC 2009

Glenn Satchell wrote:

> Add this to dhcpd.conf,then have a look in the leases file to see the values.
>
> set vendor-string = option vendor-class-identifier;
>
> eg for a Windows client I get:
>
> lease 192.168.14.231 {
>   starts 4 2009/05/07 14:46:34;
>   ends 4 2009/05/07 18:46:34;
>   tstp 4 2009/05/07 18:46:34;
>   cltt 4 2009/05/07 14:46:34;
>   binding state free;
>   hardware ethernet 00:90:27:19:22:c2;
>   uid "\001\000\220'\031\"\302";
>   set vendor-string = "MSFT 5.0";
> }

Appreciate all the suggestions.  Added the line above, but it appears that
iP(hone|od Touch)s don't send that info.  I see some BlackBerrys but mostly
it's "MSFT 5.0" (wasn't that W2K???).

With the end of the semester, the issues isn't nearly as noticeable.  We're
making a change to the FWSM today that we hope will help, but I will likely
need to beat on dhcpd with dhcperf in order to see the issue.

Gah!  I just saw "MSFT 98"!!!

Peter

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY