failover - reserved address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 18 14:13:39 UTC 2009

Pavel Mlãoch wrote:

>I don't know if I understand right. When I mark
>leases by adding line "reserved;" is the same as
>fixed-address?

No, they are VERY different features/functions.

A host statement with fixed address is very
different to a normal dynamic lease. Although
from the client side it looks the same, at the
server end there is no lease processing, no
dynamic DNS updates, etc - in fact a lease will
never appear in the leases file for these
clients. Failover is not involved at all, and you
should just define the same host statement on
each server.

A lease marked as reserved acts EXACTLY like a
dynamic lease - it appears in the leases file, it
expires, dynamic DNS updates happens, etc. The
only difference is that once you add the reserved
flag, the server will NOT reallocate that address
to another client, even when it's expired. In a
failover environment, I assume it goes through
the same processing as any other lease.

>Isn't possible use omshell for this change on running server?

IIRC from previous discussion on here, no you can't.

--
Simon Hobson