Geographically separated failover pair??

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue May 12 00:17:41 UTC 2009

>From: Nicholas F Miller <Nicholas.Miller at Colorado.EDU>
>Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 10:04:12 -0600
>
>I was wondering if it is OK to have your DHCP servers geographically
>separated. My worry is network latency might cause one DHCP server to
>become over utilized and contain most of the leases.

This is fine, and recommended. dhcpd balances up the free leases
between the servers so this sorts itself out.

We had a number of branch offices, and put one dhcp server in each
branch office and one in head office. The head office server was a
partner for each branch office for it's subnets.

regards,
-glenn