Question about Static Reservation and Fail-Over

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon May 11 16:44:15 UTC 2009

On May 11, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Carlos Dias wrote:
> I'm running a 150 "Shared-networks" setup with ISC DHCP 4.0.1
> To make it easier to manage I have one (1) config file for each shared
> network that i "include" in my DHCPD.CONF
> Some workstations have a reservation in multiple "Shared-networks"
>
> Right now I’m doing static reservation in each of the
> "Shared-networks" for each user... but this is getting complicated and
> messy.
>
> Now the questions:
>
> -	Is there a way to create a main reservation file (static.leases)
> were I can reserve the IP's for the same HOST across the different
> "Shared-networks" ? I tried via a global reservation but am having
> trouble providing the clients with their "Gateway" (default router).

Yes. Create your single global host declaration, with a variety of
fixed addresses. Then put the routers list in each subnet (not in each
pool). Remember that reserved addresses inherit configuration from the
subnet, but not from a dynamic pool.

> -	Is there a way to run ISC DHCP in failover mode but without "Load-
> Balancing"

Not to my knowledge.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services