Failover on a large DHCP system

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri May 8 16:41:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:09:29AM -0600, Nicholas F Miller wrote:
> With constant restarts of DHCP and the need for
> failover to redistribute the pools on restarts I think the server load and
> disk access would be too high.

The disk access footprint between failover restarts is only the
"changes" to the database.  It doesn't remirror the lease db every
reconnect - they only update each other with any new bindings that
ocurred during the blackout.

With huge numbers of leases, it can be a problem however, as it causes
both servers to traverse the entire lease database (in memory) right
now.