IPv6 router advertisement

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed May 6 18:27:05 UTC 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> So the question in charge basically is why RA does not work on my
> Laptop, but on Windows XP. I've thought of wrong settings in sysctl,
> but
> everything is fine, and disabling RA kernel-wise using any options
> seems
> not to be possible either, so it doesn't seem to be a configuration
> problem.

So what are the sysctl settings for net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra and
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra_defrtr?   And what about for the same
variables that are specific to the interface?   Do you get a default
route if you plug the same machine into a /64 network with the same RA
settings?   Also, you didn't answer this question:

On May 5, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>       AdvRouterAddr off;

Why is AdvRouterAddr off?

Given the symptoms you're describing, my working theory is that
Microsoft's autoconf implementation is synthesizing the default route
using the source address of the RA message, and Linux is not.   I
suspect the Linux behavior is more compliant with the protocol spec,
although I'm sure if this theory is correct that Microsoft had a good
reason for doing what they did.