host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Wed Mar 4 20:27:29 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:16 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:
>> So, that a standards solution might take time just means we need an
>> interim solution, not that we don't solve the problem.
>
> Hm, no, the way I see it is that there are two ways to solve the
> problem, one of which is quick, and one of which is slow.   Once
> you've solved the problem one way, why also solve it a second way?

Because one of the ways would likely be a fairly gross hack that, while
greatly appreciated by the user community, causes some relatively ugly code in
the server, and also may not work for less common server platforms or media
types other than ethernet.

Putting it into the design, on the other hand, would allow it to reliably work
on any supported platform, and on any future media types as well as any media
type on which DHCP works.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken