host-identifier with IPv6

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Mar 4 20:16:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 12:22:37PM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> 5. you can begin the lengthy process of changing the protocol, which may
> pay dividends inside a decade if you are lucky.

The way you presented this list presents a kind of black and white
thinking.  That you can only do one of these five things.  It throws
out the notion of interim solutions versus long term solutions, and
winds up heavily implicating towards a belief that long term
solutions are generally worth avoiding due to the time or effort
involved (quibbling over exact timelines elided).

You may not have intended all that, I can't know, but you conveyed it.

In any case, I'd disagree strongly with that implication.

You don't get to quit a job just because it got hard.

So, that a standards solution might take time just means we need an
interim solution, not that we don't solve the problem.