host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Mar 4 17:58:30 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 3:00 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> You have a blank box, it has no DUID - none currently exists for the
> device (unless it's using DUID-EE). So you have to track it by
> something that DOES exist and at the moment the ONLY identify that
> every (ethernet) device carries is one (or more) MAC address.

I think here you are assuming that you scan the box with a scanner for
the Mac address in this case.   You're right - if the Mac address
isn't used in the DUID for this machine, you will not be able to
identify it by picking the DUID apart.   What I am saying is that this
is unlikely.   The DUID based on the enterprise ID was put in because
one of the participants in the debate thought it might be useful, not
because we expected it to be widely used.   If it is widely used, I
would *really* expect it to be on the box just like the Mac address
is, because it serves the same purpose.

So my answer to this, lame though it may be, is that you shouldn't
worry about it right now.