dhcp and dynamic dns updates

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Mar 3 20:32:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 11:15:17AM -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
> the same way.  Is there code in the dhcp server that would cause this
> type of blocking?  Thanks for any insight.

DDNS updates are done with a stripped-down BIND 8 libres we call
'minires'.  It is synchronous, which means while updates or
resolutions are pending, the server waits.

In some versions of 3.0.x, it is even worse, because we would
initialize the resolver library in two different places (depending
on wether a ddns update or removal was first), and the variable
assignments were inconsistent.  The difference is 1 1-second timeout
versus something like 3 timeouts over 15 seconds total.  I don't
remember what version we fixed that in.  But it's always a good idea
to track maintenance, and 3.0.7 is the latest 3.0.x track.

We're working on an asynchronous DDNS update method, which is the only
real solution to this problem.