dhcp and dynamic dns updates

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:15:17 UTC 2009

I'm running dhcp 3.0.5.  We ran into a problem yesterday where it
appeared the dhcp process, while under load, was waiting on a response
from the DNS server responsible for the dynamic dns domain before it
would respond to a DHCPDISCOVER.  We did some traces and saw the dhcp
discovers come into the server interface, but no offers were seen
going out and nothing was logged in the dhcp server logs for those
transactions.  We know there was a slight network misconfiguration on
the DNS server which would have prevented the responses from coming
back to the dhcp server.  We're trying to reproduce this problem in
the lab, but with much lower load, it doesn't seem to be breaking in
the same way.  Is there code in the dhcp server that would cause this
type of blocking?  Thanks for any insight.

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in