host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 2 02:05:32 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Eustace, Glen wrote:
>> What should the ????? be
>
> That I don't know - these days I don't work with the ISC server
> anymore.   All I'm saying is that there's no protocol restriction
> preventing you from getting what you want.

Actually, if I'm properly reading RFC 3315, there is.  From section 9,
regarding DUID:

-----
Clients and servers MUST treat DUIDs as opaque values and MUST only compare
DUIDs for equality.  Clients and servers MUST NOT in any other way interpret
DUIDs.
-----

That says to me that if a server attempts to extract the HW address that was
used to generate a given DUID, it's violating the RFC.

Even so, if the server behavior were the only issue, that would be one thing.
  However, section 9.2 on the DUID-LLT format further complicates things in
how it specifies client behavior, and on the wire data:

-----
The choice of network interface can be completely arbitrary, as long as that
interface provides a globally unique link-layer address for the link type, and
the same DUID-LLT SHOULD be used in configuring all network interfaces
connected to the device, regardless of which interface's link-layer address
was used to generate the DUID-LLT.
-----

So while in DHCPv4 the client HW address designated the specific interface
that the request was generated for, in DHCPv6, even if you do extract the HW
address from the DUID, you have no way of telling if the HW address you found
is the one you're assigning an IP address to.  With dual port desktops
becoming less uncommon, and nearly every laptop out there shipping with wired,
wireless, and optionally WWAN interfaces, this is a situation that will crop
up fairly frequently.

In addition, at many sites machines get reimaged fairly frequently (some of
our lab machines get reinstalled from scratch half a dozen times a year, or
more frequently if needed) which makes the "stable storage" designation less
useful.

(If I've misread any of this, or it's been superseded by something else, I
would love to be proven wrong!)

In the end, I guess my concern is that rather than the ???? in Glen's question
being something that ISC dhcpd is handling strangely or hasn't documented yet,
it's something that the specification defines to be
   a) unknowable beforehand, even if the HW address is known
   b) forcibly disassociated with the traditional DHCPv4 identifier
   c) variable with software changes, where the DHCPv4 identifier remains fixed

I would also like to point out that this extends to more than just simple IP
address assignment.  We have many devices, such as thin wireless APs, IP
phones, network cameras, and thin clients that all need to have host specific
DHCP options sent out for things like server location.  In DHCPv6, I have no
way of assigning a set of options to an arbitrary host, meaning that none of
those devices are compatible with DHCPv6 as it currently stands.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken