host-identifier with IPv6

Eustace, Glen G.Eustace at massey.ac.nz
Sun Mar 1 19:35:08 UTC 2009

Frank has pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned

> If you have some alternate means by which I can:
>
>   - control what v6 IP address a given machine with a currently blank hard drive will get
>   - maintain the same address across different DHCP clients (PXE, WinPE, full Windows)
>   - maintain the same address across reformat and reinstall
>
> then I would honestly love to hear it, as it would save me a lot of
> work in my planned v6 rollout.  So far, though, all I've seen are
> other people on this list who are in the same boat as I am, so the
> only option I can see is do as David suggested and take my
> suggestions up to the protocol design level.

The inability to (consistently) uniquely identify a client in both IPv4 and IPv6 is a royal PITA. We have a solution for IPv4, albeit a poor one.  But I need something in IPv6, and soon.  The inability to use the MAC address, which is the only thing I currently have in our database is preventing further deployment of IPv6. And yes, I realise that one can deploy v6 without going stateful etc. But that isn't what I want to do.

So add my vote to fixing things at the 'protocol design level', but also to 'can we have an interim fix ASAP' as well.

--
Glen Eustace, Infrastructure Development Engineer (BC/DR)
Information Technology Services, Massey University PN460