Monitor DHCP Discover

Tim Peiffer peiffer at umn.edu
Thu Jun 18 14:24:58 UTC 2009

pat wrote:
> DHCP server doesn't hold a MIB to quer via snmp.
>
> Regards
> Pat
I don't understand your question.

Your statement is correct in that the DHCP server doesn't have a MIB to
query.  But if you use the logfiles produced by DHCP syslog traps you
can offload the DHCP server of doing event managment.

Event management was not something that was spec'ed into the DHCP
server, so it is probably unfair to ask it to do so.  By using an event
correlator, you can get the job of event managment done.  The process is
service agnostic.. Given something to build regular expressions, nearly
any log can be parsed, so you should be able to look at any service
(DHCP, DNS, Radius, ....).

By using an event correlator, you have enough to work with and you can
do what 'Red1' asks.  As event correlators go,  SEC is fast, SEC is
flexible, SEC is free, SEC is able to monitor nearly *any* log format.
SEC is easy, or as complex as you wish to make it.

Regards,
Tim Peiffer