slow dhcp on 1G backbone.

Dean Montgomery dmonty at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Jul 24 20:23:15 UTC 2009

> Where are these 12 second delays in your capture/syslog? Are the
> clients  sending requests that are not seen by the server?

This could be the case - dhcp traffic is not traveling over the LAN in a timely manner.  and/or dhcp traffic is being lost by the Procurve switches.

Just before bios pxeboot & kernel's dhcprequest, the link-light turns off then on again.  It may be the switch is slow trying to re-negotiate link speed with the client.

==
I tried changing the switch configured speed on port16 from "Auto" to "100Fd".  This made the client on port16 continually loose it's link.

==
* All switches have the latest firmware.

* All switches have factory default settings (except we turn on spanning tree).  We tested spanning tree off earlier and it is not the cause.

==
NOTE: This slow dhcp has been an "ignored issue" for 4 years in many schools.  I now have a bit of free time to see if it can be resolved.

--
Dean Montgomery
Network Support Tech./Programmer
dmonty at sd73.bc.ca