How to make 150k active clients happy?

Tim Peiffer peiffer at UMN.EDU
Thu Jul 23 18:20:31 UTC 2009

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I would make sure that the HTTP requests are uncoupled from the DHCP server's operation.  Instead of launching wget directly, do something else as cheaply as possible (eg. create a small file with the details of the transaction, rename when finished) and have another process watch for those and have it push them off with wget.
>>

> totally agreed - you want to ensure that all events are logged and then
> have eg a PERL script using the Tie file module to basically follow through the
> event log and action the correct stuff.
>
> alan

Agreed..... This thread is now pretty well OT.  The address and physical
location tracking is not the  DHCP server's job to do.  I agree that it
is best to decouple and  cut that data to an external process such as
syslog and then have an event correlator do the handling.  My choice is SEC

    http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/sec/

--
Tim Peiffer
Network Support Engineer