How to make 150k active clients happy?

Steve van der Burg steve.vanderburg at LHSC.ON.CA
Thu Jul 23 17:33:00 UTC 2009

>>> <Heinecke at hansenet.com> wrote:
> I have to design a dhcp infrastructure which is good for:
> ~ 150k active leases
> ~ 2000 subnets, each a /22 network (1018 available IP's each)
> - 4 days lease time
> - failover is a must-have
> - HP hardware running 64Bit debian lenny, 1 or 2 quad-core cpu, min. 4GB RAM)
> (Fast hardware ist not the problem ...)
>
> And one 'special' requirement:
> I have to forward agent-circuit.id, leased IP and client hardware address
> (mac) to a thrid party system on all events (commit|release|expiry) by
> issuing a http request.
> Regarding this, I think of doing something like "execute('/usr/bin/wget
> http://1.2.3.4?ip=",param1<http://1.2.3.4?ip=>, param2, ....)"
>
> So... what do you think? Is there a (good) chance to be successful with ISC
> 4.x? My feeling is that the  'execute()' call may turn out as showstopper.
> Any other ideas?

That's about 10x bigger than my client set, but you're right, it sounds doable.

I would make sure that the HTTP requests are uncoupled from the DHCP server's operation.  Instead of launching wget directly, do something else as cheaply as possible (eg. create a small file with the details of the transaction, rename when finished) and have another process watch for those and have it push them off with wget.

...Steve

This information is directed in confidence solely to the person named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. This information may not otherwise be distributed, copied or disclosed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately via a return e-mail and destroy original message. Thank you for your cooperation.