dhcp client id doubts

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Jul 19 08:44:15 UTC 2009

> Am I Posting the wrong content. actually I didnt get any mail for my
> requested question. can any one clarify them.

Yes, your questions were rather unclear.

> 1) I found option 50 for  requesting for a specific ip addresss.I am
> currently using dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl4 .any one has idea how to send the ip
> address.

This is a mailing list for the ISC DHCP software. dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl4
is not a version I recognize as ISC DHCP. If it is not, you can't
expect to get answers on this list.

> 2) I came to know that bootp servers and some dhcp servers  won't support
> clientID option. could some one list what are all servers support clientid
> option,

ISC DHCP supports the clientID option. I don't know if anybody here
can tell you all other DHCP servers that support this option.

> 3) if we use clientid in dhcpclient , I have one doubt like , let us say we
> have two redundant servers and only one will be active at a time ,
>     I thought of invoking  dhcpclient with client id option on active, when
> active goes down , standby comes up invoking dhcpclient with same clientid .
>     will it get the same ip address as that of active card ?

Are you talking about the same IP address on the *server* or on the
client? You need to be more specific here.

In any case, ISC DHCP, when operating in a failover pair, is really
best thought of as two *load sharing* servers, not active / standby.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no