Shorter mclt times?

Bruce Hudson Bruce.Hudson at Dal.Ca
Wed Jul 15 15:11:06 UTC 2009

> I'm sorry, but I am afraid I didn't follow your logic. If one of the
> DHCP servers is capable of handling all of the leases then why would a
> short MCLT cause any issues? If you had subnets with lease times of
> 15min a MCLT of 30min would cause problems if a subnet ran out of free
> leases.

    With 15 minute leases normally, a 30 minute MCLT will not cause any
problems. You (potentially) get problems when the MCLT is much lower
than your lease time and you get a large number of clients that start
their leases around the same time. That senario, far more common than
yours I suspect, will increase the load on your server; perhaps past a
critical point.

    You should always be able to lower the MCLT to your maximum lease
time without problems.
--
Bruce A. Hudson				| Bruce.Hudson at Dal.CA
ITS, Networks and Systems		|