AW: AW: AW: Problems with destination IP of DHCP Offer Packages

Martin Krellmann martin2002 at web.de
Mon Jul 13 18:49:10 UTC 2009

>I don't think subnet 0.0.0.0 definition will work. It needs to be the
>proper subnet where the clients are, even if this is the same IP as the
>external ethernet interface. You can restrict dhcpd from listening only
>to a particular interface by adding it as a command line parameter
>(dhcpd ... ipsec0) as you have done.

In my opinion this will only work with a relay agent... The external
addresses of the clients are varying.
If I configure my external address as subnet address (only the single
address, e.g. netmask 255.255.255.255) then dhcpd claims that the pool
addresses are not a part of the subnet...

>Is the other end of the ipsec0 tunnel a single client or a subnet? Can
>you run a relay agent on a host at the other end of the ipsec tunnel?

It is a single client. And no I cannot run a relay agent on the remote
clients... I have windows systems on this site running a VPN Client (NCP)

>THe other thing that might kill this is that dhcpd can only work with
>broadcast capable interfaces, so for example ppp interfaces will not
>work. Not sure how ipsec0 behaves, but it may not work and you will
>need to use a dhcp relay on the remote subnet.

As I know ipsec tunnels should be able to broadcast packets... But actually
the ipsec0 interface has no "broadcast" flag:

gateway:~ # ip addr show dev ipsec0
6: ipsec0: <NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16260 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 10
    link/ether 00:0a:e6:26:28:f8 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 91.64.137.252/23 brd 255.255.255.255 scope global ipsec0

What about having a relay agent on the same host as the dhcp server and the
ipsec gateway... Most dhcp-over-ipsec configurations suppose this setup, but
with the ISC relay agent I could not get the routing between relay agent and
the dhcp server working.

Greets,
Martin.