Determining which server, in a partner pair, granted a lease

Steve van der Burg steve.vanderburg at LHSC.ON.CA
Fri Jul 10 14:12:19 UTC 2009

Thanks for the info.  Knowing about that field led me to set up a little bit of extra logging to catch it:

  if option dhcp-message-type = 3 {
    log (info, concat("extra: dhcp-server-identifier at REQUEST is ",
                      binary-to-ascii (10, 8, ".", option dhcp-server-identifier),
                      " for MAC ",
                      binary-to-ascii (16, 8, ":", hardware)));
  }

This seems to work, and now I can scrape the logs to figure out which server gave out a lease (scrape for my "extra:" message, and confirm that the server responded by looking for the DHCPACK back to the same MAC).

...Steve