DHCPd v3.1.1 ddns and AAAA records

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Fri Jul 10 03:10:45 UTC 2009

Hi all,
	I've just been fiddling with DDNS updates in ISC DHCPd and BIND... and
so far, I have it working well, except for one snag that I hit relating
to AAAA records.

	I run a dual-stack network, with a few IPv4 subnets, and one big IPv6
subnet.  Hosts participate on one of the IPv4 networks, and the IPv6
network.  I'd like to have A and AAAA records for each host.

	The A records work fine if there are no AAAA records (which are
presently static).  The problem is when I put in an AAAA record for a
host (using automatic addressing for IPv6), dhcpd bitches about a
mystery A record which does not exist, claims the host name is already
in use and won't add its A record.

	I can understand the problem of server names getting hijacked, and
support DHCPd's refusal to overwrite A records... however, I think it
should still allow me to add my own AAAA records (managed via some other
means) for each of the DHCP hosts.

	Is there a way the code can be modified in order to ignore AAAA
records?  (Perhaps in a configurable manner?)

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.