Failover concept clarification

pat patkumar82 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 18:28:56 UTC 2009

Hi David.

I tested the below scenario with 3.0.5 version

Pool range of 192.168.10.10 to 192.168.10.50 as soon as i enabled the
failover with split 255 and started the dhcpd service, in the syslog
messages the state of the servers turned to normal with "free=21 and backup
=20"

 Meanwhile in the primary & secondary lease file was updated with the ip
address from 192.168.10.31 to 192.168.10.50 with binding state as backup.

*Question :* should both the servers be updated with free state as well
isn't it ? why it is not happening ?

   I then simulated the 31 clients to send a discover, and as expected all
offer were given by primary and acknowledged , at this point the syslog was
reading "free=4 and backup=5 "
  i tried to check the ipaddress in free state and backup which where not
allocated so far and those are.

*free:*
192.168.10.10, 192.168.10.12, 192.168.10.37, 192.168.10.38

*Backup:*
192.168.10.32,192.168.10.33,192.168.10.34,192.168.10.35,192.168.10.36

Now at this state i stopped the service in primary and made my state
partner-down in the secondary. (at this time STOS for secondary was
08:09:30, configured mclt was 100)

again i simulated 40 clients after 8Hr:11min:10sec (STOS +MCLT) what i
observed is the secondary offered only 36 clients discover and discarding
the rest.

when i checked what all ip's was not offered and it was all the IP i
mentioned in free: 192.168.10.10, 192.168.10.12, 192.168.10.37,
192.168.10.38

*Question:*
why the lease in "free=4" state are not allocated by secondary even after
STOS+MCLT expired. should it allocate or not ?
Secondary renewed the lease that are already allocated by primary, it's
confusing if it can renew the primary allocated lease why not the ip address
from free state to new clients ?

Can you please let me know is this the expected behavior from the failover
scenario?

Regards
Pat