Dhcpd and Vlan 802.1p

yogesh yogesh_vijay.kulkarni at alcatel-lucent.com
Fri Jul 3 05:46:28 UTC 2009

Hello,

I want to set VLAN priority bits in the DHCP OFFER sent by the dhcpd program
on linux.

Here is my config:-

DHCP client  ----- Dell Switch -------- DHCP Server ( dhcpd progam, Linux kernel - 2.4.20-8)

On configuring the VLAN QoS on the DHCP Server on virtual interface eth1.79
using set_egress_map option of vconfig command:-

[root at spiderman ftptest]# cat /proc/net/vlan/eth1.79

[root at spiderman ftptest]# cat /proc/net/vlan/eth1.79
eth1.79  VID: 79         REORDER_HDR: 1  dev->priv_flags: 1
         total frames received:          129
          total bytes received:        26844
      Broadcast/Multicast Rcvd:           29

      total frames transmitted:          105
       total bytes transmitted:        28212
            total headroom inc:            0
           total encap on xmit:          105
Device: eth1
INGRESS priority mappings: 0:0  1:0  2:0  3:0  4:0  5:0  6:0 7:0
EGRESSS priority Mappings: 0:3

>From what I have read, setting the egress map for skb_priority of 0
would set the VLAN priority to 3 for all skb_priorities.

The offer which the client is receiving is not priority tagged (without priority bit set to 3)
so just wanted to know if I am missing anything.

I have tested that set_egress_map does work, i.e. the priority bits
are set properly when tested with ping packets with the same configuration
when the REORDER_HDR is 0.

However, dhcpd program requires the REORDER_HDR flat to be set to
1 for its working.

Please let me know how can the DHCP OFFER be received with
the VLAN priority set.

Thanks,
Yogesh