DHCPD to log to another log file

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 30 19:01:52 UTC 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 2:59 AM, Jessica Meyer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have read a lot about DHCP logging, although I'm missing information
> about DHCP logging. I know that DHCPD logs to syslog per default, and
> this works great. But what I need is a "custom log" of just a limited
> set of information (using the log() function).
>
> Am I able to configure a second, independent log for this case? So
> I've nothing against logging in syslogd, but I need a "clean" file
> with just the information i want.
>
> Any help is highly appreciated!
> Jess

Personally, I'd probably put the information of interest in the normal
dhcp log and
extract the lines of interest using perl or some such tool.

We use normal syslog features to keep all the dhcpd logging in its
own log, by dedicating local4 to dhcpd, and adjusting
other log config lines to exclude local4.  The only problem
I've had is on a system that is both a dhcpd log collector and is also
used as a test
environment for dhcpd.  If we use the same build, the two logs mix.
Log levels
give you options as to what is put in what log.

syslogng gives you more options.

I suspect it's possible to start dhcpd with all logging directed to
stdout and pipe
it into your choice of program or script to take care of such logging
details.

John Wobus